A warm welcome Awaiting you at the Grossglockner High Alpine Road
Since its opening more than 80 years ago, the Grossglockner High Alpine Road has been one of the most beautiful panoramic roads in the world. Over a length of 48 kilometers, it leads its visitors into the heart of the Hohe Tauern National Park. On the way, fantastic views, exciting exhibitions and unique nature experiences await. More than ever, at the foot of the Großglockner, the apt motto is: The journey is its own reward.
The impressive mountain panorama is dominated by the towering flanks of the Grossglockner, Austria's highest peak at 3,798 meters. Nothing satisfies the longing for the mountains more than pausing at one of the numerous vantage points, letting your gaze wander and drawing new strength.
Numerous exciting exhibitions await you on your journey along Austria's famous panoramic road. From historic vehicles, to the female pioneers in alpinism, to the mountain habitat that provides a home for thousands of species.
Up close and personal experiences
Whether on one of the numerous themed trails, watching marmots or on a high-alpine tour: there are no limits to the adventures to be had on the mountain and along the Grossglockner High Alpine Road.
- Alpine House Nature Exhibition: Modern museum focused on the ecology of the high mountains, marmot show, store & bistro.
- Fuscher Törl with memorial by Clemens Holzmeister (panoramic view terrace)
- Hochtor (pass summit): Exhibition, store & bistro with panorama viewing terrace (south portal)
- Kaiser-Franz-Josefs-Höhe with visitor center and exhibitions
- Panorama trail on the Kaiser-Franz-Josefs-Höhe: July to the end of September, daily at 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. free guided tours with the national park ranger
Info & Facts
With sharpened senses, the small and large wonders along the road reveal themselves: the marmot, which simply sleeps away three quarters of the year, majestic ibex and nimble chamois, rare butterflies and small flowers that otherwise only grow in Arctic Spitsbergen.
Grossglockner High Alpine Road
Infopoint cash desk Ferleiten
Ferleiten 1, A-5672 Fusch a.d. Großglocknerstraße
phone +43 6546 650
mobile +43 662 8736 73
Facebook | Youtube | Blog
Coming from Salzburg:
A10 to Bischofshofen exit, on B311 to Bruck, at bypass turn right towards Fusch.
Coming from Carinthia:
From Spittal an der Drau on the B106 towards Winklern, turn right towards Heiligenblut.